Are we making the most of the massive amounts of data our satellites provide on our atmosphere, marine environment and land? How do we turn what we see into decisive policies?
Search results (251)
Showing results 1 to 20
- Infographics |Knowledge Centre on Earth Observation
- Animations |Making the most of Europe's global eyes
The Knowledge Centre on Earth Observation makes sense of a wealth of data provided by the EU's satellites under the Copernicus program on the state and environment of our planet.
- Interactive Tools/Games |How is power generated in Europe? Check out our Power Plant Database
This database of the Joint Research Centre contains information on power plants from 27 EU countries plus the UK, Norway, Switzerland and the western Balkan energy community.
- Interactive Tools/Games |European coal regions in transition
The use of coal for the European economy has gradually declined since the 1990s. In their energy plans 21 countries have committed to phase out coal, lignite and peat by 2030.
- Leaflets |Advancing knowledge towards zero hunger and sustainable food systems
Every year, more than 100 million people worldwide face periods of acute hunger. Our Knowledge Centre supports policy that make food systems more sustainable and resilient.
- Videos |Algae biomass for a sustainable and circular bioeconomy in Europe
Algae are a valuable resource for food supplements, cosmetics, fertilisers and fuels. The JRC is compiling and analysing data on sustainable algae production and use in Europe.
- Animations |Flow chemistry and an innovative spray for safer air travel
JRC has created an innovative, safe spray containing a solution of homemade explosives to train sniffer dogs and test if the electronic detection equipment is working properly.
- Infographics |The EU biodiversity strategy for 2030 in a nutshell
Biodiversity is critical to our society and quality of life. The EU biodiversity strategy for 2030 sets out a path to become more sustainable and bring back nature into our lives.
- Videos |Track up-to-date progress towards a sustainable EU bioeconomy
To help measure a sustainable circular bioeconomy the JRC, in partnership with other Commission services and external experts, developed the EU Bioeconomy Monitoring System.
- Videos |How migration data is being used to boost economies
EU researchers are using big data to understand the phenomenon of migration better and back the development of more coherent and effective integration programs.
- Videos |Climate change: What will happen if we do nothing?
More fires, heatwaves and floods, especially in the Southern regions of Europe. Find out how much damage can be avoided if we act. And what if we adapt to global warming?
- Leaflets |Knowledge Centres - Knowledge brokers for robust policies
Finding it hard to navigate and make sense of available knowledge? The European Commissions Knowledge Centres can help you
- Photos |Testing flat slabs at the EU Laboratory for Structural Assessment
A common used structural system for buildings are flat slabs supported by column. The SlabSTRESS project tests real scale flat slab building under seismic and cyclic loadings.
- Photos |Fire performance at the European Laboratory for Structural Assessment
After an earthquake, fire could spread faster if compartmentation walls fail. The EQUFIRE project studied the response to fire to improve design guidelines and standards.